Small Steps for a Greener World on World Environment Day
Each year, on June 5th, World Environment Day (WED) is celebrated. The event supports and encourages awareness of environmental protection. As the United Nations’ primary vehicle for promoting environmental public outreach, this event is hosted by a different country each year. This year, for the 50th World Environment Day celebration, the host is Cote D’Ivoire with the theme being Beat Plastic Pollution.
Check out the UN website to learn more.
How Can You Help?
As we celebrate World Environment Day, it is vital to reflect on the global challenge of plastic pollution and the impact it has on our planet. Plastic waste poses a significant threat to our ecosystems, marine life, and human health. However, by taking collective action and making conscious choices, we can all contribute to beating plastic pollution. Here are some practical ways individuals can do their part in creating a greener world.
- Embrace Reusable Alternatives: A simple yet powerful step towards reducing plastic pollution is to embrace reusable alternatives. Carry a reusable water bottle, coffee cup, and shopping bags to minimize the use of single-use plastics. By opting for durable and eco-friendly alternatives, you can significantly decrease the amount of plastic waste generated.
- Say No to Plastic Straws and Cutlery: Plastic straws and cutlery are among the most commonly found plastic pollutants. Take a stand against them by refusing plastic straws when dining out and carrying your own reusable cutlery set for on-the-go meals. Small actions like these make a big difference in reducing plastic waste.
- Choose Sustainable Packaging: When making purchasing decisions, opt for products packaged in sustainable materials. Look for goods wrapped in recyclable or biodegradable packaging or choose items with minimal packaging altogether. By supporting companies that prioritize eco-friendly packaging, you encourage the shift towards a circular economy.
- Recycle Properly: Effective recycling is essential to combat plastic pollution. Educate yourself on your local recycling guidelines to ensure you correctly sort and dispose of recyclable materials. Remember to rinse containers before recycling to avoid contamination, as contaminated items may end up in landfills instead. By recycling diligently, you contribute to reducing the demand for virgin plastic production.
- Participate in Community Cleanup Initiatives: Join local community cleanup events or organize one yourself. Gather friends, family, or colleagues to clean up beaches, parks, or other natural spaces. By removing plastic waste from these areas, you prevent it from entering our oceans and endangering marine life. Additionally, such initiatives raise awareness and inspire others to take action.
- Spread Awareness: Become an advocate for beating plastic pollution by spreading awareness. Utilize social media platforms, blogs, or community gatherings to educate others about the consequences of plastic pollution and share actionable tips for reducing plastic waste. Encourage friends, family, and co-workers to adopt sustainable practices and lead by example.
- Support Plastic-Free Initiatives: Support businesses and organizations that are committed to reducing plastic waste. Choose to purchase from stores that offer plastic-free options or refill stations for household products. By supporting these initiatives, you encourage the growth of sustainable alternatives and send a powerful message to industries that plastic pollution must be addressed.
On this World Environment Day, let us recognize the urgency of beating plastic pollution and commit to making a positive change. By implementing these simple yet impactful steps in our daily lives, we can collectively reduce our reliance on single-use plastics and contribute to a cleaner and healthier planet. Remember, every action counts, and together, we can create a greener and more sustainable world for future generations.
Other Ways to Support:
Another way of beating plastic pollution is to support organizations whose innovative missions help communities reduce this type of pollution. When it comes to being involved with charities focused on combating plastic pollution and promoting environmental conservation, here are a few organizations that are making a significant impact:
- The Ocean Cleanup: The Ocean Cleanup is a non-profit organization dedicated to developing advanced technologies to remove plastic pollution from our oceans. Their innovative projects aim to intercept plastic waste before it reaches marine ecosystems, contributing to a cleaner and healthier marine environment.
- Plastic Bank: Plastic Bank tackles plastic pollution while also addressing poverty in developing countries. They establish recycling centers where local communities can exchange collected plastic waste for goods, services, or even cash. By providing economic incentives, Plastic Bank encourages the proper collection and recycling of plastic, reducing its negative impact on the environment.
- Surfrider Foundation: The Surfrider Foundation focuses on the protection and preservation of coastal areas and marine ecosystems. They work on initiatives to reduce plastic pollution, campaign for plastic-free beaches, and organize beach cleanups. Donations to the Surfrider Foundation support their efforts to safeguard our coastlines and advocate for policy changes.
- Plastic Oceans International: Plastic Oceans International is a global organization dedicated to raising awareness about plastic pollution and its impact on the environment and human health. They produce documentaries, conduct educational programs, and engage in advocacy to inspire individuals, communities, and businesses to take action against plastic pollution.
In celebration of World Environment Day, Conifer Systems is taking action by donating to the Surfrider Foundation: Galveston Chapter. This cause is close to our hearts and down the road from our offices. This organization has been improving the quality of Galveston, TX beaches since 2011.
Remember, it is important to conduct your own research and choose charities aligned with your values and goals. Before donating, review their mission, projects, and financial transparency to ensure your contribution has a meaningful impact in the fight against plastic pollution. Together, through our donations and support, we can make a difference in creating a plastic-free future and a healthier planet.
Let’s rise to the challenge of beating plastic pollution and celebrate World Environment Day with actions that truly make a difference.